The cooking time for potatoes in a pot depends on the size of the pieces and the variety of potatoes used. Here are some cooking time estimates:
- Potatoes cut into large cubes (about 2.5 cm): 15-20 minutes
- Potatoes cut into medium cubes (about 1.3 cm): 10-15 minutes
- Potatoes cut into small cubes (about 0.6 cm): 5-10 minutes
It is important to check the cooking of the potatoes by poking them with a fork. They should be tender, but not too soft. If you use new potatoes, they will cook faster than older potatoes.
Here's how to cook potatoes in a pot:
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces.
2. Place the potatoes in a pot and cover them with cold water.
3. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain the potatoes and serve them hot with butter and salt, or use them in a recipe of your choice.
Reminder: the cooking time is counted from the moment the pot begins to whistle. We put water only in the bottom of the pot up to the level of the beat of the basket.
Note: Commissions may be earned from the links above.
This page contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our advertising policy, please visit this page.